Celebrated mechanical designer Kunio Okawara has released the “Ushi Gundam” design for the upcoming Chinese New Year, which marks the year of the Ox. Ushi(牛) translates to “cow” or “ox” in Japanese. This will be the third “Zodiac Gundam” the 73 year old designer has made for the yearly cultural festival since 2019.
Beginning his career in the 1972 Science Ninja Team Gatchaman, Okawara was the first credited “mechanical designer”. He would go on to design the iconic RX-78-2 Gundam for the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam series, and continue to contribute his talents to the Gundam franchise for over 40 years.
Ushi Gundam- Ox
Questions and answers from Kunio Okawara.
- Features and points of the design of the Ox Gundam
- “I have designed many mecha based on animal motifs. When we think of cows, we all think of horns, nose rings, and hooves. I tried to incorporate these into my design.”
- What was difficult about the design of the Ox Gundam?
- “There were no particular difficulties. Rather, I was excited to be able to create a new character.”
- Message to Gundam fans in China
- “This is a long project with 12 characters, so there are many uncertainties, but I am determined to finish it. Thank you for your support.”
Nezumi Gundam- Rat(2020)
Inoshishi Gundam- Boar(2019)
Since their debut in 2019, the RX-78-2-based Zodiac Gundam designs have been implemented in Chinese exclusive merchandise and promotional items.
Source: Gundam Info