Anime production company Bandai Namco Filmworks(Sunrise) has announced the iconic Char Aznable will be included in the upcoming Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan’s Island film. Despite Char not appearing in the original “Cucuruz Doan’s Island” episode this movie remakes, director Yoshikazu Yasuhiko spoke how including a beloved character like Char Aznable with Shuichi Ikeda would help enhance the appeal of the film.
A newly drawn illustration by character designer and chief animation director Atsushi Tamura has been released to commemorate the announcement.
Char will also be piloting a new custom MS-06R-1A Zaku II High-Mobility Type mobile suit for the film.
Char Aznable is famously portrayed by Shuichi Ikeda in the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam series. Colloquially known as the “Red Comet” for his high-speed piloting red of mobile suits, Char serves as the main antagonist and rival of protagonist Amuro Ray for much of the series. Char’s charisma, complex characterization, and signature red motif made him an immensely popular character, not only to Gundam, but as one of the most iconic, influential anime characters in history. Char would return multiple times to the Gundam series: such as the mentor figure Quattro Bajeena in the 1985 Mobile Suit Zeta Gundam TV series, the titular antagonist in the 1988 Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack film, and star as lead in the 2015 Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin OVA series.
Announced during the 2nd Gundam Conference on September 2021, Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan’s Island is a new anime film directed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, the character designer and chief animation director of the Mobile Suit Gundam series, as well as chief director of the 2015-2018 Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin series. The film will be a new perspective on the fifteenth episode of the same name from the 0079 series. The film is set to release June 3, 2022 to 185 theaters in Japan.
After enduring the battle at Jaburo, the Earth Federation Forces plan to launch a major counteroffensive to capture Odessa, a major base of Zeon’s Earth Attack forces. The White Base, with Amuro and his fellow crew aboard, head towards Belfast to receive the last resupply before the operation. White Base is then given a mission. The mission is to mop up the remaining Zeon enemies on an uninhabited island, commonly known as the “Island of No Return”. Amuro and his team embark on a search for the remaining agents, but what they see is a group of children and a Zaku that should not be there. After losing his Gundam in a battle, Amuro meets a man who calls himself Cucuruz Doan. Will he be able to uncover the secrets of the island, and will Amuro be able to find the Gundam again and escape safely……?
- Toru Furuya as Amuro Ray
- Ken Narita as Bright Noa
- Satomi Arai as Mirai Yashima
- Megumi Han as Sayla Mass
- Toshio Furukawa as Kai Shiden
- Hideki Nakanishi as Hayato Kobayashi
- Misato Fukuen as Fraw Bow
- Tomofumi Ikezoe as Sleggar Law
- Shunsuke Takeuchi as Cucuruz Doan
- Atsushi Miyauchi as Egba Atler
- Yoji Ueda as Wald Ren
- Shizuka Ito as Selma Livens
- Koji Yusa as Yun Sanho
- Yū Hayashi as Danan Rashica
- Yuma Uchida as Marcos
- Fu Hirohara as Cara
- Shuichi Ikeda as Char Aznable
- Planning and Production: Sunrise
- Original Story: Hajime Yatate, Yoshiyuki Tomino
- Director: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko
- Assistant Director: Ka Hee Im
- Screenplay: Toshizo Nemoto
- Character Design: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Atsushi Tamura, Tsukasa Kotobuki
- Mechanical Design: Kunio Okawara, Hajime Katoki, Kimitoshi Yamane
- Chief Animation Director: Atsushi Tamura
- Art Director: Yuji Kaneko
- Color Design: Nagisa Abe
- Director of Photography: Takeshi Katsurayama, Ryo Iijima
- CGI Directing: Shuhei Morita
- CGI Director: Morihito Abe
- Editing: Kazuhiro Nii
- Sound Director: Sadayoshi Fujino
- Music: Takayuki Hattori
- Production: Bandai Namco Filmworks
- Theme Song: “Ubugoe” by Hiroko Moriguchi
Source: Official Website