Announced in March, anime production company Sunrise(now Bandai Namco Filmworks) will be releasing a complete collection of setting material from the iconic 1988 anime film, Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack, titled Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack Official Complete Works —BEYOND THE TIME—.
The collection was originally set for a September 22, 2022 release but according to Bandai Namco Filmworks, due to various unspecified circumstances, they are delaying the release to October 25, 2022.
Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack Official Complete Works —BEYOND THE TIME— will include a three-sided box with illustrations of the RX-93 Nu Gundam and MSN-04 Sazabi by their original mechanical designer, Yutaka Izubuchi. The collection will include the following contents:
- All final and initial drafts are included
- Many unpublished rough drafts by Mamoru Nagano and others
- Storyboards by Yoshiyuki Tomino, approximately 800 pages in total
- Special dialogue between Toru Furuya and Shuichi Ikeda
- Re-published interview with Yoshiyuki Tomino at the time of release
- Other major staff commentaries
- Final design draft for full-length film
- Draft of the finalized art settings for the film
- Color samples of each setting
- Photographs of scenes from the film
- Design drafts (characters, mechanics, etc.)
- Design drafts for GUNDAM EVOLVE
- Design drafts for DOME G
- Past copyrighted illustrations
The Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack Official Complete Works —BEYOND THE TIME— is priced at 14,300 yen with an October 25, 2022 release date. Pre-orders can be made at the “Sunrise Store” in Premium Bandai, the official Bandai Namco Filmworks mail order site “A-on STORE”, and other retailers.
Set fourteen years after the One Year War in U.C. 0093, the Yoshiyuki Tomino-directed Mobile Suit Gundam: Char’s Counterattack serves as the final confrontation between legendary rivals Amuro Ray and Char Aznable. Char has risen to power as leader of Neo Zeon and plans an all-out assault to decimate the Earth’s population to revive the planet. Released to theaters in 1988, Char’s Counterattack grossed 1.16 billion yen at the box office.