While we’re waiting for the full weekend Japanese box office results, the official Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan’s Island Twitter account has announced the film has already earned approximately 300 million yen with 150,000 attendees.
This weekend Cucuruz Doan’s Island competes with such films as the Tom Cruise vehicle Top Gun: Maverick, Hideaki Anno’s Shin Ultraman, and The Way of the Househusband: The Cinema.
Announced during the 2nd Gundam Conference on September 2021, Mobile Suit Gundam: Cucuruz Doan’s Island is a new anime film directed by Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, the character designer and chief animation director of the original 1979 Mobile Suit Gundam series, as well as chief director of the 2015-2018 Mobile Suit Gundam: The Origin series. The film is a new perspective on the fifteenth episode of the same name from the 0079 series. The film released June 3, 2022 to 185 theaters in Japan.
May 18, Bandai Namco Filmworks(Sunrise) announced a theatrical Blu-ray release for the film. The Blu-rays come in a limited edition version and a standard edition version, priced at 13,000 yen and 5,000 yen respectively, and released June 3, 2022 at all participating theaters.
After enduring the battle at Jaburo, the Earth Federation Forces plan to launch a major counteroffensive to capture Odessa, a major base of Zeon’s Earth Attack forces. The White Base, with Amuro and his fellow crew aboard, head towards Belfast to receive the last resupply before the operation. White Base is then given a mission. The mission is to mop up the remaining Zeon enemies on an uninhabited island, commonly known as the “Island of No Return”. Amuro and his team embark on a search for the remaining agents, but what they see is a group of children and a Zaku that should not be there. After losing his Gundam in a battle, Amuro meets a man who calls himself Cucuruz Doan. Will he be able to uncover the secrets of the island, and will Amuro be able to find the Gundam again and escape safely……?
- Toru Furuya as Amuro Ray
- Ken Narita as Bright Noa
- Satomi Arai as Mirai Yashima
- Megumi Han as Sayla Mass
- Toshio Furukawa as Kai Shiden
- Hideki Nakanishi as Hayato Kobayashi
- Misato Fukuen as Fraw Bow
- Tomofumi Ikezoe as Sleggar Law
- Shunsuke Takeuchi as Cucuruz Doan
- Atsushi Miyauchi as Egba Atler
- Yoji Ueda as Wald Ren
- Shizuka Ito as Selma Livens
- Koji Yusa as Yun Sanho
- Yū Hayashi as Danan Rashica
- Yuma Uchida as Marcos
- Fu Hirohara as Cara
- Shuichi Ikeda as Char Aznable
- Planning and Production: Sunrise
- Original Story: Hajime Yatate, Yoshiyuki Tomino
- Director: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko
- Assistant Director: Ka Hee Im
- Screenplay: Toshizo Nemoto
- Character Design: Yoshikazu Yasuhiko, Atsushi Tamura, Tsukasa Kotobuki
- Mechanical Design: Kunio Okawara, Hajime Katoki, Kimitoshi Yamane
- Chief Animation Director: Atsushi Tamura
- Art Director: Yuji Kaneko
- Color Design: Nagisa Abe
- Director of Photography: Takeshi Katsurayama, Ryo Iijima
- CGI Directing: Shuhei Morita
- CGI Director: Morihito Abe
- Editing: Kazuhiro Nii
- Sound Director: Sadayoshi Fujino
- Music: Takayuki Hattori
- Production: Bandai Namco Filmworks
- Theme Song: “Ubugoe” by Hiroko Moriguchi
Source: G-Doan Twitter